Sunday, March 09, 2008

.: Daylight Saving Time :.

This observance is probably my least favorite thing about calendars. We should all be like Arizona and Hawaii and just say forget it. The following are reasons why DST should not exist:

1. Confusion.
- "Spring forward, fall back" - sounds simple... not so. Try adjusting a small child's sleep schedule to an hour time difference. Then there's always those conversations that go something like...
"Wait... spring forward... so we gain an hour, right?"
"No, we go forward an hour, we lose the hour."
"So when it would be 6:00 AM, it's now 7:00 AM, so I have to get up earlier... but when it's 8:00 PM, it's really 9:00 PM, so I need to go to bed earlier?"
"I have no idea what you're talking about."
(side note - the only legitimate fight my mom and I have been in was over DST.)

2. Lack of sleep.
- "Just go to bed earlier the night before," they say. Not that simple. We stress so much about whether we set our alarm clocks right that we don't sleep well for half the night, then go into a deep sleep and over-sleep...

3. (I feel like there should be 3 reasons, but the first 2 are good enough for me.)

No comments: